News Listing » “B” is for Benefit: Fairware joins the BCorp Community
“B” is for Benefit: Fairware joins the BCorp Community
Interests: Eco-friendly Production, Ethical Sourcing , Social Change
Fairware recently became a member of the B Corporation Community. Certified B Corporations are recognized as using the power of business to solve social and environmental problems and are unlike traditional businesses because they meet specific criteria, including:
- Meeting comprehensive and transparent social and environmental performance standards;
- Meeting higher legal accountability standards;
- Building a business constituency of good businesses.
To become a B Corporation, Fairware had to achieve 3 things:
- Take and pass the B Impact Rating System which sets a benchmark for the social and environmental impact of good companies.
- Adopt the B Corporation Legal Framework to incorporate the mission of Fairware into our legal structure.
- Sign a Term Sheet that makes our certification official.
By successfully completing these steps we have joined the ranks of Patagonia, Aspen and other partners of the B Corporation Community recognized for CSR leadership. The media has been shining a light on this little known corporate structure of late with recent articles in FORBES, Christian Science Monitor, and GOOD.
For Fairware, becoming a B-Corp was driven by a few factors. First and foremost, we view the changes to our incorporation documents and shareholder agreement as an act of advocacy, of walking our talk and of sending a signal to the world that there is a different way to do things.
The B Corp rating system and questionnaire process was also a good internal ‘gut-check’ or audit – it highlighted some gaps in our own systems (e.g. while we do corporate giving in practice, it’s not guided by any policy or framework).
And finally, it serves to send a signal to our customers, vendors and peers that we’re committed to a business model that reflects community and environmental priorities. In an increasingly crowded space of ‘green’ or ethical companies, it provides us with a 3rd party stamp of approval that we’re the real deal.
We're proud to be a B-Corp and we’re happy to announce we will be offering a 15% discount to other B Corporations on orders over $1000. We are thrilled to be working with the BCorp community!