Jobs Listing » Backend Web Developer for TheChange - A Vancouver based Green Social Commerce Start-up
Backend Web Developer for TheChange - A Vancouver based Green Social Commerce Start-up
Interests:Community Development, Green Lifestyle, Social Change
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia
Posted: Wednesday, June 9, 2010
Interests: Community Development, Social Change, Values-Based Work
TheChange represents the movement towards a more sustainable world. We have used the power of the web to unite this movement, but ultimately we hope that our local focus powers offline action!
Check out our latest social change project called ethicalDeal! ethicalDeal helps people discover their green city through daily deals from local green companies. Our deals make it easy and fun to live a healthy green lifestyle!
Join us in TheChange!
TheChange seeks a backend web developer (PHP) to join the team!
Passionate about using technology for social change?! Want to be a part of a promising start-up? If you are a self-motivated, entrepreneurial web developer then keep reading!
TheChange is a platform for sustainability engagement. People use our platform to shop, work and study for change while organizations use TheChange to connect with a highly targeted and motivated audience. We launched TheChange.com on May 15th with the participation of over 50 of BC's leading sustainable companies and NGO's. We have big plans for future development, including our latest project ethicalDeal.com. It's an exciting time to join our team!
As the backend development lead you will be responsible for architecting, coding and expanding the back end functionality of our websites. You'll be responsible for various additional tasks including bug fixes, server troubleshooting, and strategic technical input. You will work closely with our web design and marketing team members to develop and create a continually better customer experience. Growth and new challenges will be endless with this job as the company scales up at a continually faster pace.
We are looking for someone who shares our vision, has an entrepreneurial spirit, a strong work ethic and is keen to be part of a start-up environment. If you are a motivated self-starter with strong interpersonal skills, and enjoy working in an agile and iterative development environment, then you’ll fit right in.
Please note: Our start-up is supported by a government program that funds innovative technology start-ups. This program requires that new hires are 30 years or younger, have post secondary education and are Canadian Citizens/Permanent Residents.
Recent graduates with a strong portfolio are encouraged to apply!
Photo Credit: Green Jobs Now
• Post secondary degree or diploma in a related field
• 3+ years of demonstrated web development experience
• Strong working ability in PHP
• Strong working knowledge of MySQL and experience building scalable database driven web sites
• Experience using open source software and services
• Knowledge of MVC frameworks (CakePHP, Codeigniter, Elgg)
• Basic sysadmin skills for linux-based deployments
• E-commerce experience is preferred
Who you are
• Passionate about web technologies, usability and analytics
• Entrepreneurial spirit; you love iterating and shipping quickly and frequently
• A deep belief in learning through doing
• Excellent communicator with good project management skills
• Dedicated to constant refinement and improvement in every task you take on
• Understanding and interest in Web 2.0 concepts - social media, UGC, online communities
• You're innately driven to create web applications that users love
• Previous start-up experience
• Experience with the Elgg framework
• Experience with social media integration (Facebook Connect, Twitter API etc.)
Why Join Us?
• Get involved with a start-up that has garnered early traction and grow with the company
• Lead technology development and use your skills to make a mark!
• We can offer a base salary and equity participation
How to Apply
We Want to Hear From You!
Please direct all inquiries and resumes to email@example.com. Please introduce yourself and include links to previous projects!
We're hiring by July 31, 2010 so don’t delay; get your application in today!
- Planting a Tree for Every Organization that Joins TheChange
- TheChange has committed to planting a tree for every organization ... Read More